Saturday, September 29, 2007

Reflection




Don't you just love the Fall? I love going for walks and drives once the leaves have changed color- it makes me feel cozy and happy for some strange reason. :) But tonight, looking outside has made me think. At first I was thinking about our lovely graveyard view :) and that is what got me started. I realized that I really do complain a lot rather than just be content.

One thing I've noticed about people, me included, is that we have to have the "best". And the "best" almost always refers to material things. Are you wondering where I'm going with this? :)

Well, over the past few weeks I have been quite lonely and homesick. And I've been complaining a lot. Yesterday I was in a sad mood so my sweet husband took me to the mall in the hopes of making me feel better. I shopped and did get a few things, but it wasn't fun. The only fun I had was when I was sitting down with Caden and Jeff having supper. Caden was adorable! He made friends with an elderly gentleman and I really do think Caden made his day. Caden smiled at him, talked to him, showed him things, and even waved bye to him! Just sitting down and having supper made me appreciate the little things. Who cares how we look or how much we have in material things? Who cares what kind of house we live in? Or what kind of car we drive? These things should not matter. And coming back to my fall pictures- who cares if you have a graveyard view? *smiles* In all seriousness, it doesn't matter- does it?

The Bible tells us that we should be content whatever our circumstances may be. Philippians 4:12-13 is the apostle Paul saying this: "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

So as I gaze out the window tonight, I am content. And thankful. I thank God for my family, my friends, and for all the circumstances I find myself in. And I pray that I can keep my eyes on what is important. :) Let's be happy with what we have. Look at Caden- he is such a joyful little boy (when he feels good anyway *grin*). Just letting him out on our balcony fills him with joy. He's only 1 but he's sure impacted my life for the better. And I thank God for him. I pray that we can be as Paul was and be content "in ANY and EVERY situation". We do have a lot to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Brad and Kristin said...

That is a great post, Erin...thank you for writing it! It is such a good reminder. Making your heart filled with thankfulness is difficult, but it changes your outlook on absolutely everything, I think. We can't wait to see you in a few months! :)

Love, Kristin